The bad news is that my welder is definitely knackered, so I’m looking at alternatives to get the trailer fixed and finished, probably I’ll just either hire a welder if my brother can make it down soon or I’ll just find a friendly welder to come over and do the welding for me.
In the meantime, I finally got half the power system up and running. The batteries have been in storage for a while, which isn’t the best thing for them, so the first 6 are now wired up and connected to one of the panels. It’s only temporary, which is why the cabling looks shoddy, but at least they’re under charge and being taken care of properly. In a week or so I’ll have the other 6 in place too. I can then monitor them to see what condition they are in as I have a couple of spares if any of them have been damaged by their storage time. All the cells were reading between 1.98 and 2.02v, which isn’t too bad, but we’ll leave them on charge for a week and then remeasure them when I take the next lot up.
One of my next jobs will be to design and build a decent support frame for both panels. They’re going to stay on a ground based frame so they can be moved when needed. If they were mounted on the roof and I had to park the house anywhere that I can’t get the best angle I’d lose a lot of power generating ability. The solar hot water panel will be on the roof as this is less susceptible to angle changes.
I’ve also managed to pick up a few days work this week and next, so that will pay for a short holiday I’m taking later this month and put a bit of money back in the coffers for continuing the build. However, it also means I won’t be doing much on the house for the next week or so.
Swings and roundabouts.